when you're flat on your back, the only direction you can look is up - garfield

Monday, July 10, 2006

World Cup

After a month of late nights (in my part of the world), hangovers and nail-biting matches, Italy has finally won the coverted World Cup to stamp their place as World Football Champions for 2006. With that win, they are 2nd only to Brazil in the number of times that a country has won the World Cup.

I wonder how many of you out there got caught up in the football fever. While I am not much of a football fan (I was more interested in Wimbledon tennis which was playing at the same time), I found myself unconsciously wanting to be part of the game too. Everyday, before I leave my home for work, I would turn on my TV to make sure I was updated with the scores and the scorers of the latest game played. It just felt so "uncool" to reach the office and not have anything to talk concerning the first question that will greet me in the morning "What do you think of the game last night?"

Then, of course, there is that "harmless" in-house betting which repeats a specific pattern... that no one can actually predict anything! At the start of the game, many thought the Brazilians would make it to the finals but they did not even make it to the sem-finals. The Germans looked very strong but they only managed 3rd place.

In the office, there were some "clue-less" ladies who would bet lunches just for the fun of it. They chose Italy. Of course, they did not know anything about football but they made the choice based on one factor - the players were HANDSOME!!!

With all the strategist out there, weighing every ounce of weakness and strength of each team, they were not any better than a few ladies that were more concerned about nothing more than the locks of hair on their head.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ivan Chan Heng Liang said...

Know what you'd be if you were a superhero?

The Poonisher!

10:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very useful article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did anyone learn that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

8:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home