when you're flat on your back, the only direction you can look is up - garfield

Monday, June 26, 2006

"Why are you always so happy?" - Part 1

Someone asked me 3-4 days ago why I always look so happy. She also wondered how can someone look happy when we are faced with disappointments and difficulties.

I could not answer her there and then but it made me think.

It is indeed true that I am always seen smiling. Many people have commented about that and there were a few who wanted to know the secret behind my perpetual smile despite my fair share of difficulties.

The first image that came to my mind as I pondered this question was a young girl I saw in hospital. She was born with Brittle Bone Disease or Osteogenesis Imperfecta. It is a disease where every bone in her body was soft and because of that, most of them are broken and they cannot heal. She was born that way and she was deformed and could only lie in bed. Yet, this was one of the happiest girl that I have seen in my life!!! While many people would have been bitter and even curse God, she was there in the hospital bed, telling me about the goodness of God!!!

I must say that that left a very unforgettable impression in my mind and I think it must have made me realise that people can be happy despite of their circumstances.

Which is true if we look around us. We do see people who face the greatest difficulty with a smile but there are others who whine and grumble at the smallest thing.

I can think of at least 4 reasons why I am always so happy.

The first reason is this - that HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE. If you are unhappy, no one is forcing you to feel not happy. The only person who decides whether to be happy or not, is yourself.

The next few reasons will come out soon. In the meantime, do feel free to read the rest of my blog :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home