when you're flat on your back, the only direction you can look is up - garfield

Monday, April 10, 2006

What are the options - Part 2

Now let's say you chose the option in Part 1 that there is a god. In the myriad of gods out there, which should we choose?

1) Choose a sacred text that claims to be revelation from God through man, not one that is by man writing about God. In my opinion, God must reveal himself, for us to know Him. Otherwise, how can a finite mind know anything about an infinite God?

2) Choose one that is good. This seems like a given but personally, I would not worship a god if I do not know if he is good. Why should I worship anything whom I do not know for sure if he is good to me? Check for historical records (factual) if there was anything done that showed his goodness.

3) choose one that is holy. I struggle with holiness and if this god is worse or just at par with my unholy character, why should I worship him? The important thing in this, is how does this god propose that we approach him since he is holy and we are not? Most simply teach by doing good works. But does good works negate evil works? How much good works is enough? Salvation by good works is the most common religion, but to me it only holds water if you are perfect from the beginning and that you never sin throughout your life. If you are not, choose another.

There could be more questions to ponder but if you could answer these 3 questions seriously and done your elimination, you might just be left with one option. Hurray!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ivan Chan Heng Liang said...

Looks like you've got lots of time on your hands.

I believe that God initiated the big bang. He sets the rules and laws in our universe. But he's not allowed to interfere. That's why evil exists.

I can't believe you thought that pic was me. I'm gravely offended.

1:19 AM

 
Blogger Take Thought; Life's Short. Fear Not; Trust God. said...

so sorry for linking you with that "mug". thousands apologies.

yep, i think you are right. i think God might have started the universe with some kind of big bang but set in place laws to go along with it.

3:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home